First engine start

See video below of my first engine start.

Roger from Innov8 in QLD, who built the engine and 8 stack and fitted the Motec ECU, had to log in over Team Viewer to adjust some settings before the first start. Had a couple of minor issues with the 02 sensors not reading which was traced back to one pin in a plug not being seated properly and the cooling system had a bit of an airlock.

The cooling system has been sorted out so just need Roger to log back in and finish off adjusting the engine perimeters.

Stay tuned for more videos of the engine as next time I’ll be giving it a few revs!

1st engine start…

Not long now….

It’s been a little frustrating lately as it seems to be taking so long to get to the stage where the engine is ready to start. It’s a big milestone in any car build but I don’t want to rush it either.

There has been a few things holding things up… from the charcoal canister EVAP system, that I had to start from scratch due to other countries not having that particular requirement, to minor wiring issues.

However it’s getting close so keep an eye on this blog because I guarantee the video of the 1st engine start is going to sound awesome under the mezzanine!

In the meantime scroll down to catch up on what’s been going on…

Final fitting of the exhaust
Rear clamshell back on… looking like a GT40 at last!
That’s a good looking 8 stack…
Yeah baby!

Now that’s a good looking gearbox!

The Audi 01E gearbox looked a bit ratty on the outside so I thought about soda blasting it then polishing it but finally decided that painting it was the way to go. Chose a colour as close to the Coyote engine block as I could and used a flat clear like you see on some new cars these days. I have to say that I am very happy with the result and it should look pretty flash in the engine bay.

High pressure clean and then sand any corrosion areas down and scothbrite all over…
Mask up the steel parts and any sensors etc…
Etch prime…
Then use a 2 pack primer and straight on with the colour wet on wet…
Then finish off with the flat clear coats…
Mask up the silver…
Spray the black gloss and untape… voila!

First test fit of the Wild Coyote

I recently test fitted the Coyote and gearbox and now in the process of integrating the wiring of the Motec into the electrical system and making some minor modifications to the engine block to accommodate the gearshift cables and starter motor.

Fitting was easier than I thought but boy is it tight! Once I’m happy with the fit, she comes out again to finish off a few items on the chassis and then back in for the final time (hopefully!) .

Shouldn’t be too long now until the Coyote is rumbling away in the workshop and I will be uploading a video of that momentous day so stay tuned!

Take your time….

Some of you are aware that I built a kit aircraft a few years ago. It was a Searey amphibian and it took me 1100 hours over 2.5 years to build.
I recall the Searey Australian Distributor telling me once that he understands that everyone wants to build their aircraft as soon as possible and get it flying.

However he said try not to rush through the build process as one day suddenly it will be finished so make sure that you have done everything you want to it. By that he meant any extra modifications or options as some things are very difficult to go back later and add.

Unlike the CAV GT40 OZ Edition where we supply the dash, wiring looms, instruments etc, the Searey didn’t come with an instrument panel or any wiring at all so I had to manufacture it all myself from scratch. I wanted it to look like a proper aircraft not a basic ultralight so you will see by the photo below that I think I achieved that.

I took that advice on board and when I look back I can’t recall anything that I didn’t do that I wanted to do and was extremely happy with the end product.

Now that I am building a GT40 I am also heeding his advice and even though I want to get this baby on the road ASAP, I have been adding a few things that I know I will be happy I did.

A couple of examples are related to the wiring as it is such a big important job and very time consuming so I took the time to add some LED lighting up under the dash so that if I need to do any work under there I won’t have to try and hold a light and work on something at the same time. Those of you that wear bifocals know exactly what I am talking about when trying to lie upside down under a dashboard!

I also added a full Autowatch alarm system, low coolant alarm, music system, cig lighter and USB ports and more that I will talk about in future posts.

My Audi O1E gearbox has just arrived so next I will be fitting it to the engine and then doing a trial fit into the chassis. Stay tuned for that.